Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pinterest Challenge!

Challenge!!

I love reading Young House Love and Bower Power.  I love pinning ideas to Pinterest and have made/bought a few things.  I am not a very crafty person or craft on a regular basis, so having the stars align with needing to make a new appetizer for an Oscar party and the Pinterest Challenge - Winter Version was amazing!


Not sure making a recipe necessarily counts, but it counts for me!

At Christmas, I decide to try my hand at Green Chile Pepper Jelly.  Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of the jelly, but it seemed to be a hit with my in-laws!  We ate most of it with homemade bagels and cream cheese on "H-family Christmas Morning" (Christmas is celebrated the Saturday before, so we can all visit our other in-laws - brilliant idea!)

This is the recipe I used - the hardest part was the canning, since some cans needed to be redone.  I just followed the canning directions included with the pectin.

Makes 6 half-pints of jelly
6 fresh green chilies
6 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
cheesecloth
6 oz. liquid pectin
6 drops of green food coloring
1.  Wash and mince chilies. Combine chilies, sugar, and vinegar in a large saucepan or kettle and boil mixture at high heat for 5 minutes.
2.  Pour boiled mixture through cheesecloth to remove seeds.  Return the mixture to saucepan or kettle.
3.  Add pectin and food coloring to mixture and boil for 1 minute.  Skim off any foam that may have formed.
4.  Pour mixture into hot, sterilized, half-pint canning jars. Seal according to manufacturer's directions.
5.  Process jars in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  Test seal when cooled.

I had some jelly leftover that needs to be eaten soon, so I decided to make crackers.  Specifically, Cheese Wafers with Pepper Jelly, thanks to Pinterest and Better Homes and Gardens.
The recipe was pretty simple.  
Dough after sitting in the fridge for ~4hrs.

I used a mixture of extra sharp cheddar and sharp cheddar (of course purchased in a block and shredded in my KitchenAid food processor.) and did everything with a food processor.
The brown ones in the corner were too thin and got crispy!
The crackers and jelly were a hit at the Oscar party and I took the leftovers to work on Monday.  
My only comment is to cut the recipe in half.  80 wafers is too much!

Maybe for the next Pinterest Challenge I'll do something more crafty!
Enjoy!
ELH    
 

1 comment: